The JIS Elementary Schools have gone 1:1 iPads in Grade 2-4, and that means their classrooms are immersed in the opportunities and challenges that come with such a major change. The learning curve is not flat, and through the change process, teachers are modeling what contemporary learning and the 4 Rs are all about.
From Speed Geeking Wednesday Sessions at PIE to a Saturday Session at CIL to informal App problem-solving sessions at PEL to inspiration from the iPad conference at ISKL, ES teachers are collaborating and considering the best way to keep JIS iPad use connected to meaningful learning goals.
Specifically, some learning goals being explored (and related tools) include:
- Making learning visible and documenting learning (Explain Everything, Book Creator, Tiny Tap)
- Metacognition and the creative process (iMovie, Photo)
- Developing multimedia literacy and design skills, ie Book Trailers (iMovie, Book Creator, Pic Collage)
- Collaborative research (searching for Google Presentation alternative)
- Math literacy (EDM games, Tiny Tap)
- Giving feedback (Google Classroom, Showbie)
Our school is lucky to have amazing resources - technology of course, but especially the love of learning our teachers and the technology/library team share with our community every day.
Check out snapshots (Animoto) from the Saturday Session below. Thanks, Rod, for putting this together.