Friday, October 31, 2014

Personal Dictionaries with Book Creator

Thought I'd share this simple, yet effective strategy for students to create a personal dictionary that can be added to as needed. I have been using this with Grade 2 and the students were so excited to make these dictionaries so I thought that it was an idea worth sharing.

This idea came about to address a need for EAL students. They had been keeping a list of words on paper but being able to use a voice recording added a whole new layer to this task that can assist these students in learning new words. The class teacher explained to me that typing the word can be challenging so it was decided to photograph the word as found (in a book, on a display ... etc) and then add a voice recording speaking the word. All I needed was a simple way for this to happen.

I was able to use two apps here. I first made the dictionary template in Book Creator. This is an app that is on all the student iPads. It is easy to use.

Next I shared that file only with the students who needed it. I did this with Showbie. Showbie allows teachers and students to send each other files from iPad to iPad over the wifi. I have explained the process in the following info-graphic. Take a look.


If you would like the Book Creator file, I have placed it here on Dragon Tales.

Jane Ross PIE @janeinjava

No comments:

Post a Comment