The two hour session was set up to offer participants innovative ways to enhance Readers and Writers Workshop with a range of super easy to use apps (please see list of apps below). Our presenters Jane Ross, Sarah Pickles and Brooke Staton shared some wonderful student created examples before the participants were given a chance to "play" and learn. The student examples that were shared demonstrated:
- The Writing Process
- Readers Theater
- Reading Fluency
- Book Character descriptions to 3D
- Video Book reviews with QR codes
One of the best by-products of the JIS Saturday Session has been the gathering of faculty from all four divisions. This is a challenge to attain when we offer sessions before, during or after school during the weekday. Feedback from the sessions has indicated that our faculty love the hands on collaborative approach and the modeling of teaching strategies. As with any learning, the participants went away with more questions. We hope these questions will lead to generating more learning opportunities.
Be on the lookout for future Saturday Sessions in the second semester. We will send out the dates once we get them confirmed.
- Morfo - (emphasis how this can be done with Morfo on only the teacher’s iPad but the app is on K-2 iPads already) https://itunes.apple.com/au/
- Puppet Pals (this app is already on the JIS student iPads) https://itunes.apple.com/au/
- Explain Everything (this app is already on the JIS student iPads) https://itunes.apple.com/au/
- Book Creator (this app is already on the JIS student iPads) https://itunes.apple.com/au/
Author's note: This post was created by combining ideas expressed in a social post by Jane Ross and an email from Pia Druggan.